THE CASTLE OF PARTISTAGNO
The Castle of Partistagno founded in the 11th century. The castle is made up of an older unit (the donjon, the cistern, the Domus, St. Oswald’s church), located on the upper-level while on the lower-level the palatium dating back to the early 15th century. Recently renovated, it can also be available for events and shows by companies and private citizens.
THE MEDIEVAL MUSEUM
The Medieval Archaeological Museum of Attimis was born with the purpose of preserving and making known the remains and the objects of daily life in the castles of the feudal era(10th-15th century).
Inside the museum, there are significant objects related to daily life in the castles, evidence of a significant medieval past.
THE “MADONNA DE SESULE”
The young Teresa Dush received the first apparition of the Virgin Mary in the Porzus village on the 8th of September, 1855. The inhabitants decided to build a small chapel in memory with the message that the Virgin Mary has entrusted: “Sanctify the festivals. Do not blaspheme and observe fast and abstinence”. The Sanctuary, named after the “Madonna de Sesule”, is now a destination for pilgrimages also from neighboring Slovenia.
Cividale Del Friuli
Cividale del Friuli is a pleasant small town on the banks of the Natisone River. Since 2011 it has entered the UNESCO Heritage List. Its historical center keeps significant features of different ages: Roman, Longobard, Medieval and Venetian. From the Longobard Temple to the Cathedral, from the Celtic Hypogeum to the National Archaeology Museum passing through the numerous churches, the historical center of Cividale del Friuli (Forum Julii) is an authentic treasure.
Devil’s Bridge is the symbol of the town of Cividale del Friuli. It was built of stone since 1442 and divided into two arches. It rests on a natural boulder located in the Natisone river bed, along which you can admire a spectacular gorge. The bridge is 22.50 meter high. Its asym metry is due to the position of the boulder on which thecentral pier rests.
THE MUSEUM OF THE GREAT WAR
The Museum of the Great War, housed in five rooms of the abandoned railway station of Cividale del Friuli, exhibits relics, uniforms and original weapons of the operational armies on the Italian front. In one of the rooms, you can visit an educational trench, a very accurate reconstruction of a trench section. The faithful reconstruction of the Cividale-Caporetto military narrow-gauge railroad is noteworthy.
Mount Kolovrat is an open-air museum, where it is possible to visit the ambushes of the Third Italian defense line during the First World War. The ridge of the mount, on the border between Italy and Slovenia, is rich in fortifications and trenches, which are well-preserved and open to the public. Near the Solaire shelter, there is the memorial stone in memory of Riccardo Giusto, the first Italian fallen of the First World War.
In the village of Trinco, it is possible to visit the small museum Rural House. There are various objects and tools of the rural life of this territory on display, recounting its history from the late 19th century to the mid-20th. It is an anthropological-ethnographic exhibition that allows a better understanding of the local past life, a unique linguistic-cultural island in Friuli Venezia Giulia..
MALGHE DI PORZUS (BAITA TOPLI UORCH)
The Malghe of Porzus is the scene of the most tragic event reached in these land because of partisan wars.
On the 7th of February, 1945 a hundred Garibaldian gappisti killed a group of partisans belonging to the Osoppo Division. This fact can find some explanation, but not certainly justification, only in consideration of the tormented ideological problems existing in this border area. This atrocious episode has left a deep mark in the history of the Resistance in Friuli and beyond.
CASTLE OF CUCAGNA
It is 1027 when Patriarch Popone grants permission to Odorico of Auspergh, noble Carinthian, to erect a castle in Faedis. The castle was built, probably on a late medieval fortification located on the mountain “Cuc”, from which the name Cucagna, in a place difficult to attach and assimilable. The complex, during the advanced recovery phase, is reachable through the ancient path.
CASTLE OF ZUCCO
The Castle of Zucco was built on the Rodingerius hill, just below the Castle of Cuccagna, in the mid-1200. The Castle of Zucco and the Castle of Cuccagna formed part of a significant fortification system, to protect the Grivò Valley, one of the points of access to the Friulian plain. Initially,
the castle was shared among the nobles of the Cuccagna family later was transferred to a branch of the same family, named after with the same name
Topolò is a small village in the municipality of Grimacco hidden among the mountains of the Natisone Valleys. The name of the village derives from the poplar tree, in Slovene tapù. The location is famous for the event Topolò Station – Postaja Topolove which focuses on the art in all its expressions and gathers artists from all over the world.
MUSEUM OF RUTTAR
The museum of Ruttar, located in Clodig in the municipality of Grimacco, exhibits a rich collection of typical objects of the customs and traditions of the Natisone Valleys society at the beginning of the century.
The objects of the collection witness to the life of the past, based on handwork, agriculture, and farming. Many tools represent the culture of the Natisone Valleys and the local customs.
MOUNT SAN MARTINO
Mount San Martino is 987 meters high. It is situated in the eastern part of the municipality of Grimacco, between the valleys of Cosizza and Alberone. You can quickly reach the peak of the mount moving from the Priavelo Pass at 663 meters, running along a path or a mule track. Near the peak, there is the Romanesque votive church dating back to the 13th century
CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BABTIST
The church of St. John the Baptist in Malina is a small religious building located in the center of Moimacco. It is the oldest building in the municipality and has been recently restored. It dates
back to the Romanesque period, as it is demonstrated by the elegant squared stone apse with cone cover. Inside the apse, there is a cycle of 14th century frescoes with the Twelve Apostles.
CHURCH OF SAN DONATO
According to a Cividale historian, the head of San Donato, a fourth-century martyr, and patron of Cividale del Friuli, was founded in this place. Since the 13th century, a house of worship and a hermitage were built on the place of discovery, which soon became a pilgrimage and shelter during enemy raids. The date 1633 is engraved on the outer wall of the apse.
THE VILLA DE CLARICINI DORNPACHER
The villa de Claricini Dornpacher stands on the edge of the village of Bottenicco, a small rural hamlet surrounded by the green amphitheater of the Cividale hills. The villa comprises the big manor house, the Cour d’Honneur with a central well in front of the façade, the chapel, two barchesse, the garden and the park. The villa has a lengthened architectural form that recalls the Friulian country house, dating back to the mid-17th century.
The Monastery of Castelmonte stands at 618 mt high. Already in the 6th and 9th century, the church of “Santa Maria del Monte” was one of the most important in the Patriarchate of Aquileia. The statue of the Madonna and Child is the core of the monastery. The Madonna, depicted with dark skin, is included in the tradition of Black Madonnas found in several European monasteries.
BORGO DI CENTA
Centa is a pretty, rural and little village, built around its particular church and characterized by old stone houses, some of them dating back to the 13th century and nowadays partly used as a B & B. The houses, built one next to the other for protection and defense against enemy attacks in the past, testify an ancient tradition.
BORGO DI BERDA
Berda is a small village and overlooks the beautiful Judro valley, bordering on Slovenia. The Swiss and the English appreciate this village, which is composed of a dozen of houses perched on the mount and kissed by the sun. The restoration of the houses preserved the original materials stone and wood. The wood surrounds the village, and the animal company makes the place charming
CAVE OF SAN GIOVANNI
The cave of San Giovanni d’Antro is one of the most evocative place in the Natisone Valleys. It brings with it a summary of history, arts, culture and natural resources of its surrounding territory. The cave extends about 5 km and offers interesting glimpses with beautiful limestone formations.
The chestnut tree in Pegliano is more than 300 years old and it is a natural monument of the NatisoneValleys. The tree is near the Village of Coceanzi and you can reach it from Pegliano,Lasiz
and Tarcetta, in the territory of Pulfero.
This awesome ancient tree, with its 25 meters of height and 9 meters of circumference, its diameter of
the foliage measures about 16 meters.
House Raccaro, valuable example of rural house located in the village of Biacis in the municipality of Pulfero. The date “1821” engraved on a porch pillar reminds us of the time of construction or renovation of the house that now houses a small ethnographic museum and a space used for meetings and local events.
KOT WATER FALL
The beautiful waterfall of Kot is situated in the municipality of San Leonardo about 1.5 km away from the village. The name Kot means corner, a secluded spot, in Slovene. The waterfall lies in an extreme and secluded position beyond which it is almost impossible to continue. You have to follow on foot a nice signed path for about twenty minutes to reach it.
The Mount Spik is 661 meters high and is located a few hundred meters northeast of the Castelmonte sanctuary.
On the Spik the trench line of World War I is well preserved. There are numerous galleries that cross the top of the mountain from one side to the other allowed safe access or escape.
THE PLAYGROUND AND SPORTS AREA
The Playground and the Sports Area of San Leonardo is an ideal starting point or destination for days immersed in nature, down the hiking paths around the surrounding area, in a quiet setting away from traffic, there is an area for the leisure of the little ones and not only, with access
to the indoor sports facilities and the unique Indoor Gym in the Natisone Valley.
San Pietro al Natisone
The watermill was built in 1821. It is a typical architectural example of the Valleys, built with materials that are available on site: wood and stone. Thanks to a beautiful path that starts from Ponteacco and runs along the Natisone river you can reach the watermill. Nearby there is the archaeological site of the Riparo of Biarzo, considered one of the most important of the north-eastern alpine basin.
SMO is a multimedia museum for everyone that wants to know the history and current events of the area where historically the Slovenes of the province of Udine, Gorizia, and Trieste have settled. The visitor, thanks to new technologies, besides being a spectator, also becomes the protagonist of knowledge. The museum is also a documentation and recording center continuously evolving.
CHIESETTA S. QUIRINO
Master Pirich (or Petricˇ) of the Škofja Loka school built the church in 1943. In the polygonal presbytery, there are frescoes of the patron saints. Outside the sacred building, gathered, during the Patriarchal and Venetian ages, the Antro Bank and the Great Arengo of Slavia, a council with administrative and justice skills. Other local churches are San Bartolomeo in Vernasso, S. Antonio in Clenia and S. Luca in Tiglio.
Mount Matajur is the symbol of the Natisone Valleys, 1,641 meters high, is situated on the border between Italy and Slovenia. Its majestic profile overlooks the whole Friulian plain allowing to see the sea on clear days. On its slopes, the Natisone Valleys develops on the Italian side, while the valley that leads to Kobarid on the Slovenian side.
MILLS OF SAVOGNA
Until the last century, sixteen mills were active in the villages of Matajur. Of that massive network of mills, fundamental for the sustenance of mountain people, until now, there are evident but fragile traces. The oldest among those still standing dates back to the eighteenth century, perhaps even earlier. A path of about 15 km leads to visit the most evident ruins of an ancient era.
The Visitor Center, located downhill of Mount Matajur, is a point of reference for all the peculiarities of the municipality of Savogna, as the glorious
history, the natural beauties, and the typical local wine and food delicacies. Traditions and local culture characterize the small museum of rakes
which takes its name from the tradition of the village of Tercimonte, known as the country ofrakes.
At about 1 km from the residential area of Tribil Inferiore, in the municipality of Stregna, in the west, there are the Planino lawns. The large grass surface covers the extensive plain valley. The beauty of these lawns gives a sense of peace and tranquility to the visitor. The haylofts, recalling
the past age, are particularly beautiful and well preserved.
Mount Cum is a mount in the Oriental Alps, it is 917 meters high and located in the eastern part of the province of Udine. Mount Cum is situated between the towns of Tribil Superiore and San Volfango. The mount is easily identifiable by its characteristic trunk-pyramidal shape. During the First World War, it was a strategic peak of the Italian Front.
PARK OF CHESTNUT
Inside the chestnut park, you can follow the path of the centuries-old chestnuts of Dughe. Located in an area characterized by centuries-old chestnuts, the park aims to make a natural area accessible with majestic chestnut trees, beech woods, the typical fauna and the symbolic setting of legends of the popular narrative of the Natisone Valleys. The way is suitable for children, the elderly and the disabled
MUSEO DELLA CIVILTÀ CONTADINA
The museum of the testimonies of the rural culture is located in Prossenicco in the municipality of Taipana. The exhibition presents objects of daily use related to the country’s rural life, the characteristic masks of the Carnival and a photographic collection that represents the last century
of the community. Objects dating back to the First World War, testify to the eventful history of these places. Interesting the “black house” testimony of a past life.
The waterfall is located on the Rio Namlen, southeast of the town of Platischis in the municipality of Taipana. The spectacular jump of the clear waters of the stream is fascinating and captures the attention. It is the most impressive waterfall among all those present in the territory of the Torre and Natisone valleys. The spectacular jump, of over 70 meters, is immersed in a natural and wild environment.
SOURCES OF RIO BIANCO
Sources of the Rio Bianco. The Rio Bianco born from the slopes of Montemaggiore in the Municipality of Taipana. The beautiful spring formed by several waterfalls is near the village of Montemaggiore at about 1,200 meters high. The white rock and the transparent waters characterize this show surrounded by nature. From the confluence of the Rio Bianco and the Rio Nero comes the Natisone river, a symbol of this territory.
From In the village of Torreano, at the foot of Mount Forcjis, surrounded by nature, we find this mystical place: Lourdes Cave. It was built for and by the will of the Torreanese in 1928 as a devotion to the Virgin Mary. Inside it, there is a Piasentina stone altar worked by the local stone-cutters’ skilled hands. As a testimony of the great faith and devotion of the local population, there are also other old churches: such as St. Rocco’s in Montana, St. Hermag
Among the reliefs that overlook the Friulian plain, the grassy ridge of Mount Joanaz stands, whose northern peak reaches 1167 metres above sea level. It is easily identifiable from the plain due to its particular elongated shape along the northsouth axis. Mount Joanaz is considered one of the few peaks
where you can enjoy a 360-degree view from the Julian Alps to the Friulian plain and down to the sea. Its peak is easily accessible on foot or by mountain bike from the Joanaz refuge
Surrounded by an enchanting setting of Torreanese vineyards, on the top of a small hill not far from the village of Togliano, Maisano Villa stands. It is composed of two unities belonging to different historical ages: the first consists of a square tower and the base of the present manor house, both of them previous the sixteenth century; the second corresponds to the villa built by the administrator Pietro Della Torre for his summer stay in 1587.